Friday, February 24, 2006

Hue Sucks My Ass


Pros:

1. Pretty citadel/imperial enclosure/forbidden city - Temples, gardens, a giant Vietnamese flag and pagodas.
2. Lovely imperial tombs - Cute stone mandarins and elephants guarding big ass graves for dead emperors and a large stone that weighs 20 tons.
3. Fun bike ride through the city and into the hills to get to tombs - Only got lost once only to be rescued by cute Vietnamese children and a friendly Vietnamese man.

Cons:

1. Weather - Does it ever stop raining in Hue? Is it always this grey?
2. Bike - Why do I get the crappy pink bike from the 30s that doesn't steer straight, pedal evenly, have shocks or a comfortable seat? My ass hurts.
3. Internet - Spent 45 minutes with 13-year-old boy trying to fix the lousy internet connection. All I wanted to know was what time the women's ice hockey was on.
4. Illness - Got sick and spent one night and a whole day in bed in a Hue hotel (perhaps not Hue's fault, but it still ruined the city' effect).
5. Transportation - To leave this city for Hanoi one must endure a 14 hour overnight bus ride with cockroaches. I did not sleep.
6. Food - Apparently there is a severe lack of bread in Hue, despite the fact that EVERY street corner in Vietnam normally sells bread (I was hungry, so very hungry after laying in bed sick).
7. Roads - Dirty, nasty roads with large pot holes and crazy motorbike drivers that don't care if you are on a bike.
8. Rudeness - Jackass cyclo and motorbike drivers that stalk you and drive in front of you, blocking your path, in an attempt to get you to pay for a ride with them.
9. Hoarking - Someone hoarked on my arm when I walked past (the hoarking up in public - nasty phlegm/snot clearing/spitting - is a nasty Asian habit that I cannot get used to).
10. Bathrooms - Stalked by creepy Vietnamese man as I used the washroom at a restaurant. Freak.
11. Olympics - My one refuge from illness was that the women's ice hockey finals were supposed to be on my room's TV (yay TV!!!!! The highlight of Hue!) at 3:30 am. I set my alarm and woke up to watch ice dancing for 30 minutes. No women's ice hockey finals anywhere to be seen. I hate ice dancing. It is the worst Olympic sport. Wanted to throw something at the television but instead, in my weakened state, passed out swearing and thinking of all the reasons why ice dancing should be banned from the Olympics (come on people, ice dancing is NOT a sport).

Conclusion: Hue sucks my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home