Saturday, April 22, 2006


Yes, I am still alive...

Ok, so I was supposed to be in Nepal right now (one month in Nepal and two weeks in Tibet), but for those of you who watch the news, I'm sure that you understand that a holiday in Kathmandu is not exactly a good idea right now. I have been watching news coverage of the protests in Nepal and it looks frightening. I am disappointed but know that I made the right decision - no one wants to be tear gassed while on vacation.

So, faced with the prospect of another two months in sweltering India (when I left it was 38 degrees and only getting hotter in Delhi), fending off aggresive autorickshaw drivers and dirty street kids, all the while hoping not to get another dose of the dreaded "Delhi Belly" sickness, I opted to move up my ticket back into Japan. The two bombs that went off only one street over from where I was - on my last night in Delhi - only further reinforced the fact that I had made the right decision. So here I am in Tokyo for a short break before I venture back out traveling.

The trip out of India was taxing. I had a flight out of Delhi at 8:30 am and had to be at the airport for 5:30 (thankfully I took this seriously because it took me three hours to check in and clear security - like the rest of India, the airport was chaos). Landing in Bangkok at 4:00 pm with a flight out to Tokyo at 6:50 am, I decided to stay the night in the airport. So I spent the evening like a homeless woman curled up on a bench, trying (fairly unsuccessfully) to sleep on my bag. The bench proved to be too uncomfortable so I eventually opted for the floor. Waking up at 4:00 am, I checked in for my flight to Tokyo and slept the entire trip (except for a brief conversation with my 75-year-old dirty American sex tourist seatmate).

I am currently researching China and Tibet while I relax at my aunt and uncle's. "Relaxing" pretty much amounts to me taking long hot baths, sleeping in until 2 in the afternoon, catching up on my movie watching and gorging myself on peanut butter, pastries, candy, cheese, meat of any kind and all sorts of other foods that were unavailable to me in India. Sandra and Jay have been nice enough to indulge my cravings for meat (I was veggie for the month in India) and have taken me for a burger, a beautiful medium-rare steak and Japanese curry. Having discovered that I lost about 7 pounds in India, I think that I am slowly gaining it all back.

After living out of a suitcase for so long it's nice to have a home, even if it's temporary. I get my Chinese visa on the 25th so I'm in Japan until at least then.

Anyone wanna join me in China? Tibet?


Blogger iforgetpasswords said...

it's a sign - you should come back to be at my wedding....but relieved that you're still alive, i was thinking of you this morning and wondering where you were in India.

11:01 AM  
Blogger DaveHooper said...

You're back in Tokyo? Call me! Im off for a couple of days on the 24th and 25th, if you're not leaving too soon. Free the Nepalese!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home